Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

The tv won't turn on and the light in the front is flashing

Customer Question

The tv won't turn on and the light in the front is flashing on and off.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

1- Could you please get me the model number written on back of TV?

2- Does the power light flash in specific pattern like one slow blink then one fast blink etc?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I think this is the model number but it is hard to read, LC80LEB1QUN and there is not a specific pattern to the flashing
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Are you still there or should I call?
Expert:  Shahid replied 12 months ago.

Sorry, I was away from computer. Checking TV model number now.

Expert:  Shahid replied 12 months ago.

Model number has some letters/ digit missing, can you try again to get correct model number as it is important to get related manual for troubleshooting purpose?

Also, look at flashing power light on TV, it would definitely be showing a pattern, few times long (slow) flash and few times short (fast) flash.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Try this model number: LC-60LE81OUN.
The flashing is long, short, long, short etc.
Expert:  Shahid replied 12 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** valid model number.

Flashing error code indicates problem with backlight system in TV, there are several things in TV that can be cause of problem and it needs further troubleshooting to figure out what is wrong to get it replaced/ fixed in TV to resolve the problem. Following simple test will help to troubleshoot the issue..

Touch Vol Down and Input and Power buttons on TV front at same time for few seconds.

Does TV turn On and letter K appears on screen?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
buttons pushed and held down and no change
Expert:  Shahid replied 12 months ago.

OK, please make sure all three buttons are pushed at same time, if it still doesn't work the try it in following sequence..

Touch the “POWER” key with “VOL Down" and “INPUT” key touching on TV front (Not on its remote).

Does screen lit with letter K?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
still nothing
Expert:  Shahid replied 12 months ago.

This news isn't good, either backlight inverter (power supply) board OR backlights inside display panel (the screen) is bad and causing the problem. Only option is left to replace power supply board in TV and try again to to turn On the TV through above mentioned procedure, If TV turns On then all is good and we need to go into service menu of TV for an adjustment to get the TV back in business.

If power board swapping doesn't fix the issue then we are looking at serious issue, defective display panel (screen) and display panel replacement isn't an option because it would cost around new TV price so at that point you would be better off with a new TV instead of spending money and time on this TV repair.

Please click following link to view power supply board image and part number info to search/ google it to get price info to order the board to move forward in troubleshooting..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sharp-runtka684wjqz-power-supply-backlight-inverter.htm

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board/ screen replacement to resolve the issue. I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Expert:  Shahid replied 12 months ago.

Hi, do you need any further assistance with this question?

Thanks.