Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a 50" Samsung model code # HLS5086WX/XAA I got

Customer Question

I have a 50" Samsung model code # ***** I got the TV for free and was told all it needed was a lamp I got the lamp and when I turn it on it powers on the 2 fans run the color wheel turns but the lamp dose not turn on I can hear the ballast click and buzz for 2 seconds and then clicks again but the lamp dose not light at all I know there is good voltage going to the ballast I think it was 340V or something like that but when the ballast clicks I do not see the spark on it no light at all on the ballast I also tried it with and with out the lamp in and it does the same thing and the caps on the ballast look good
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Hi Kyle, I`m Jack

The lights at the front , what do they say ?

The 3 of them blinking ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
all 3 are blinking
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

where did you get it and how much did you pay for that lamp ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the cheap one from amazon Did not want to pay a lot for one just in case it was not the lamp The old lamp did not look bad at all
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

If that tv had a power board problem i.e missing that 350 volts (or so) then the blinking at the front would be different , you got a bad lamp "period"

Return it for an exchange or refund if you can

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

we cross posted , it is very difficult visually to tell if a lamp is good or bad unless it blew up and ther are pieces of glass rattling around in the housing

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the spark light on the ballast does not light up when it clicks does that mean anything?
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

If you can hear that buzz for 2 secs as you said in your opening post then thats good enough for me , your ballast is trying to strike the lamp so that means it works , that leaves only a defective/no appropriate/out of specs lamp

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yeah that's what I thought it was I got a bad lamp
When the ballast clicks I can hear the color wheel slow down and its more like a High pitch noise coming from the ballast then a buzz noise Is there a way to test the ballast outputs?
Anyway I'm going to get another lamp and see if it works
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Definitely start with that lamp and go from there but I really believe that the go from there will be changing the channels.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks I'll let you know when I get it
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

yep sure

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just got a new lamp from eBay put it in and nothing same thing not lighting up
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been messing around with it and I unplugged the ballast and turned it on and it is doing the same thing it clicks then I can hear the High pitch noise then it clicks again sounds like the click is coming from the dmd board anyway does that mean that the ballast is bad is there a way to test the turn on power from the dmd board to the ballast?