Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My screen goes black in the course of watching the tv. Model

Customer Question

My screen goes black in the course of watching the tv. Model #M5550SV what is the problem and how is it fixed?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. The screen going black is either an issue with the "Source" (meaning the cable/SAT box or connecting cable), or a hardware fault within the TV itself. To rule this out please grab the original Vizio remote and press MENU. When the screen goes black will the MENU display on the screen?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No menu will not display on the screen when it is black
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

If the native MENU will not display then this indicates a hardware fault in the set.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I determine the faulty hardware and where do I get replacement parts provided you think I can fix it myself.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Please shut the lights off in the room and tell me if the TV's backlights are on- meaning the screen is still lit. Then I can locate the replacement part for you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only light visible is the VIZIO label below the screen. The entire screen is black. No light
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

This means the power supply/LED board needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you provide the part number and an online source for it?
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

I just did, it is posted above. Please scroll up the page just above your last reply.