Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is with a Samsung

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is with a Samsung LN46A650A1FXZA. The set turns on and I believe the backlight is on as well but the picture is black. It worked once today then once I turned it off he problem returned the next time I turned it on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sound works, backlight on the lcd is on but no picture. No menus, just a black screen
JA: OK got it. Last thing — TV Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first a few questions , let me know when you`re ready ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure ready.
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Give me a minute please , no longer expected you

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

You said " I believe the backlight is on "

Is the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?
If you are not sure then darken the room and turn the tv off and on again while you observe the screen .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The backlight is definitely on. The problem appears to be intermittent. Sometimes the tv works fine sometimes I just get backlight with no picture.
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

O.k then this would definitely point to a t-con board problem .

How do you want to proceed from here ?
Look into this yourself or the repair shop ?

Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourself ,otherwise i will give you the details and costs you could expect.

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

The t-con for this model cost some $90 to buy depending on where you get it from and there are some 4 versions of it for your model depending on the panel installed at the time of manufacture so yours would have to be matched first before ordering and you can do that at the link below , never mind that the t-con`s are not in stock there , that link is just for ID purpose and from there it could be found with the correct part number .

Here is that link ; http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=+LN46A650A1FXZA

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can do the work myself but how do I know which t-con board to order? The serial number is ***** and version number is *****
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

As i said above , yours would have to be matched first before ordering , this means opening the tv then looking up the t-con board in the upper center (at time slower center)at the back of the panel under a metal shield .

Then go to the link i gave you and match the numbers on yours with one of those at that link .

Now you can click on the individual t-cons there to get more details , the numbers will be located usually on a bar coded sticker but at times the d marks will be stamped on the board , just follow the instructions on that website , they show you what the id is and how to find it .

Once you got that then use the number given there and let me know or simply google it up and usually you will find numerous suppliers .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** you know if I am able to fix it.
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

No problem , much welcome and as my part is done for now then please do not forget to rate .

Just let me know if you need help locate the parts , that rating does not close this post , it just gets me credited and paid for my work with you

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Just a follow up :

Let me know if you need help with finding the parts

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I pulled the tv apart, the t-con part number is ***** No luck finding refurbished or new parts. Any places I should look?
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

The full part number is *****

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Thank you and please do not forget to rate