Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

Coby tv will not allow Tint adjustment with HDMI input

Customer Question

coby tv will not allow Tint adjustment with HDMI input
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately the screen diagnostic is the correct one for this serie of samsung tv`s , namely the logic buffer boards that are now permanently bonded to the screen ribbon cables to avoid the bad contacts that were frequent in the past but this also means that they are not replaceable without replacing the panel which of course is not really feasble unless you`d have a spare tv for parts

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Say what? I'm asking about a Coby TV! Sorry, maybe I'm not too clear. I'm talking about the picture adjustment controls. The tint setting is greyed out. It's locked. I can change it on any other input. The picture looks great on a DVD.
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Very sorry about that that , it looks like one of my answer landed on this post , of course disregard that

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Give me a minute please and as long as I`m here I will see if I can help you with this , just did not expect this

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Are you there ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

O.k then if you go in the picture menu , at the top beside MODE what does it say ?

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

These are the selection Custom/Sports/Theater/Energy Savings/Standard/Vivid.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
standard
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Try custom to have full control then see if the tint is adjustable

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
have tried, that is why I am asking you.
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

You did not say what you tried in your opening post so now would be a good time

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

What is connect to that hdmi cable anyway ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
tivo mini
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no other output ports
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

You said the other inputs allow you to adjust the tint ?

You tried every single mode in that picture menu and the tint remains grayed out ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it's locked. i was hoping there is a way to unlock it.
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

In the picture menu if you press the right arrow you get the advanced picture menu , did you know or look there ?

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

There is the RESET picture settings there that may be worth a try or did you try that already ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok. i can see you know no more about this TV than I do. Goodbye
Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

got it now ?

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

was going to repost your question for other techs to look at it anyway as I landed here by mistake to start with

Expert:  Jack replied 9 months ago.

Good luck

Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 months ago.

If you have not checked yet, to see if the TINT adjustment is available in other INPUT modes - using other (active) signal inputs - I would do that to see IF the adjustment becomes available in those other modes.

IF the TINT adjustment IS available in ANY input mode - but becomes unavailable (grayed out) when using HDMI input - that tells us that this is a "programmed setting" within the unit itself. What I mean is that MANY multi-input devices have certain adjustment that CAN NOT be made in a particular mode (such as HDMI or COMPONENT).

This is usually because the manufacturer has "designed" the controls to operate in this fashion - so that ONLY the programmed settings can be used OR the input device (what is driving the HDMI signals) is in control.

NOTE: It is VERY COMMON for display devices to behave this way - especially in the "less expensive" units (it is a cost saving design).

I hope this helps explain what is happening on your unit.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)