Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My tachi plasma will not power on.

Customer Question

my Hitachi plasma will not power on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

What else can you tell me about this problem?

Are there any signs of life on the TV at all (power light lit or blinking, click sounds, etc.)?

Also, when did the problem occur- was it after a storm or power outage?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No signs of life. I had recent problem with ready light not going on, but after pushing the main switch I got it to light. This is not happening Power will not come back on
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

If the issue is still there, then the power board within the TV needs to be replaced. This is somewhat common as these sets age, and is something you can do yourself if you're comfortable removing the back of the set. The part is: Hitachi HA01731 (MPF7428, PCPF0133), however is showing as out of stock through all of the vendors I've checked.

Alternatively a shop will typically charge $250 parts and labor for this repair, but given the set is an older 42" Plasma and a brand new 42" LED 4K Smart TV can be purchased starting at $400 these days, it does not make much sense to put that kind of money into this older Plasma (even though it does have a stellar picture when it's working).

Other than that I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.