Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My name is ***** *****. I have a sony bravia tv 42 inch but

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I have a sony bravia tv 42 inch but not sure of the model, picture and sound go off for 5 sec then comes back on just like when first turning the tv on, banner across top of the screen. Father in law had a similar prob and replaced power supply and resolved the problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Its acts as though the tv is turned off then turned back on but it does it by itself
JA: OK got it. Last thing — TV Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

1- Could you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
2- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no just the TV, model KDL40VE5
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the info, have you tried to upgrade TV software (firmware)?

If not yet, please go to following Sony link and follow the instructions to update TV firmware/ software which will help to resolve the problem.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=KDL40VE5&upd_id=7080&os_group_id=18

Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Shahid.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My TV already has this software, ER4-12.E337
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

OK, can you connect a DVD player to TV as a test to see if TV acts the same?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a cable box connected, I'll change HDMI input
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

OK - Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

Hi, do you need any further assistance with this question?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had to check because I don't watch it very often. I switched HDMI outlet, unplugged the power but it still occurring.
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

Sorry to hear that, it seems the same board in your TV needs to be replaced that you have referred in initial question post, that board calls main board where all video inputs including HDMI are located, that board part number is ***** follows..

A1734044A (1-879-239-12) BM3 Main Board, click below link to view board image if you are planning to repair the TV yourself..

http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-a-1734-044-a-top_3.jpg

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.