Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Philips dvdr 3400 dvd player / recorder. It has

Customer Question

I have a Philips dvdr 3400 dvd player / recorder. It has just started to display unknown disc type whenever I put a disc in to record. I have unplugged and restarted it numerous times and it displays the same. It was working fine last night. Any suggestions? Gary
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Gary.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.