Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Ln37a550p3f multicolor vertical lines and at turn on some

Customer Question

ln37a550p3f multicolor vertical lines and at turn on some time has a loud pop at turn on, after trying to turn it self on several time it works fine also I have heard a high pitch sound at different times. At first the tv was dead replaced two bulged cap in power supply and checked the other ones that brought it back on. I have cleaned the lvds cable and pushed on the t-con and the ribbon cables to the panel, it like a cap has to be charged up before it starts working wright. Could this be a power board issue. Thank Larry
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

loud pop at turn on -- usually the audio mute circuit isn't muting the TV speakers. Is that where the noise comes from?

Multicolor Vertical lines -- are those lines ON TOP of the TV's menu?

Do you know the service menu access and have you tried the internal test patterns with those lines?

Could this be a power board issue

Of course you could have a simple warm up issue causing that. Not likely the power board. Does it still click- click on? OR Do you turn it on and off over and over?

This part - " after trying to turn it self on several time it works fine " can be misleading

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lines are completely covering the menu and tv will cycle on and off until it works right may take 4 to 8 cycles and as it getting closer to correcting itself the lines looks different that is further apart. after tv corrected it self and played good I just turned tv off and waited for about 5 to 10 minutes then turned back on lines was separated more and it had a picture tried menu but didn't see it. For the loud sounds will have to let tv set for awhile and the turn on and then check the speakers to see where the loud sound is coming from.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the loud sound appears after being turned off awhile after tv playes good you can turn off and back on there is no loud sound.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so it appears either the TV's Main board OR power supply is at fault. Did you replace ALL the caps in the same area as the bulged caps, or ONLY the bulged caps? This is important. You must replace all the caps in that specific area. If the TV worked fine with no problems, THEN the problems started to occur, that usually points to the main board being stressed. I've had several TVs that I replaced caps on, they worked fine, then about a week or two later, I find the main board turning the TV set on and off.

Please verify how your TV worked after cap replacement

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how it worked before I got it because it belongs to someone else but after replacing two 1000uf 50v caps at turn on I started to see the problem also the high pithed sound is coming from the speakers.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, the information I have is 6 capacitors should have been replaced, not just 2.

Take a look at the pictures I am sending you. Check the locations of the capacitors, find out which ones you still need to replace. Let's do that for starters, then see if the problem is still there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The psu # ***** ***** and I changed out all caps but mad no difference. There is a main board repair service on e-bay that said they can repair my problem for $39.75 so I think I will send it in for repair. Thanks Larry
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like you have it figured out. Good luck with that main board repair.