Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics
23511658

Acer X1261 Projector indicating Error(Thermal Failure)

Customer Question

Acer X1261 Projector indicating Error(Thermal Failure) Red-Red-Blue blinking pattern.
Category: TV
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

A thermal failure indicates that there is too much heat building up inside the projector. If you are hearing the fan spin as you normally do, then it is very likely due to dust build up. On models that have a filter, you should clean or replace the filter, but most importantly, clean out the projector with compressed air. You don't have to disassemble it to do this (except in extreme situations). You should be able to clean out the air vents suffiently to get rid of the problem. Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prior to posting the question, I open the projector and inspected the interior. There is no apparent dust on or near the fan. This model does not have a built in filter. I have used this projector very little, less than 10 hours, and always in clean environments. I suspect that a thermal device has opened indicating a high temperature occurred near the bulb. I was hoping you could tell me where such a device resides in the projector. PS: I suspect that you have no experience with this model projector based on your answer.

Quite the opposite is true. My answer is based on not having the following information: fewer than 10 hour use, and that you have already inspected the interior.

Under "What have you tried so far", you answered "Nothing". What I have instructed you to do would be the first step. It would have been best if under "What have you tried so far", you answered, "I opened the projector and inspected the interior. There is no apparent dust on or near the fan." Do you understand why that would have led to an answer closer to what you were expecting?

While a sensor is always a possibility, it isn't the most common cause in thes projectors (Acers). With the additional information you have provided, it's likely that the fan needs to be replaced - unless this happens immediately when you turn it on. Then it would have to be a sensor. But it is unclear from your question whether the error is present immediately, or if it happens after a period of time.