Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Tv is on, was working pressed incorrect button

Customer Question

tv is on, was working pressed incorrect button inadvertantly, now no sound or pic but i can change input to dvd plr and it works fine. other tv in house working so not a cable issue thank you
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, What is the model number off of the back of the TV in question?

Also, nevermind the other TV in the house....is this particular TV connected to a Cable Box?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ns39d220na16 i believe, cable coming straight from wall'
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. So there's no box at all connected to this set- just a direct cable from wall to TV's antenna port?

That is bizarre, since most times we see this there's either A) A Cable Box that needs to be rebooted, or B) The customer has the TV on the wrong Input.

So, if you grab the Insignia remote and use the "INPUT" button to go back to the TV Input- there's nothing but a black screen?

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
correct black screen,
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Since your TV can still pick up the DVD signal, it would seem the TV's AV processing is fine.....so since you mentioned another TV in the house....can you take this TV to that location and plug the coaxial cable from there directly into the TV as a test to see if it's working with that connection?

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

This would tell us with certainty if the TV, or the particular coaxial line split off to this location is at fault.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when i switch the input to component, (dvd plr ) works just fine also when i switch input back to tv it comes up analog 3.0 which it normally does but now it has ntsc in the bottom right corner which i had never noticed before
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Okay hang one, sounds like you changed the tuner mode.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Not seeing any buttons you could have pressed to cause the tuner to change modes- there's nothing on the remote that can do that.

Please shut the TV off and unplug it.

Remove and reconnect the coaxial cable making sure it's secure.

Then press and hold the power button on the TV itself for 10 seconds and release.

Plug it back into power, turn it on and use that Input button on your remote to select the correct Input.

Let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Also, once you plug it back in, what do you see when you press the Ch UP or DOWN buttons on the Insignia remote?

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

We can also "Reset to Defaults" and then start a fresh setup of the TV to rule out any settings that may have been inadvertently adjusted. Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
now my cable is re-booting as it was all on the same power strip. when i change channels, ntsc still in bottom corner
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Wait a minute- what "cable" is rebooting- a cable box? You said you had cable direct from the wall to TV. So what exactly do you mean by "cable is re-booting"??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i am getting a message on screen that service was interrupted, it has since cleared and yes, it is straight from wall, no box
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Are you saying there's still nothing on the screen- just the channel number and NTSC message?

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Time to proceed either one of two ways- either bring this set over to the OTHER TV's location, and plug that coaxial cable into this set to see if it works (tells us if the problem is the TV or the cable), OR go into the HELP MENU of the TV, and reset to defaults. Then you're going to select "Cable" and run a channel search on the TV again. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when i change from av to tv input, it has 3.0 and ntsc in upper r corner
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Got that part.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
already tried that, response you ane now ready to watch but i will try again, it takes about 10 min
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

You already reset the TV to factory defaults??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Or you already brought the TV to another location?

Or both?

Please elaborate.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Okay don't try the reset again. You reset it to defaults and it's still not working. You need to rule out the cable or the TV as the root cause of the problem now. Bring the TV to the other location and see if it picks up signal. If not- then your TV's TUNER has failed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just tried reset to fac defaults again in process of picking language etc
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Ok.....

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
reset to fac defaults and it is now scanning for channels
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i am 82 yrs old and can't really maneuver a 52 in tv to another room sorry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is about 1/2 way done scanning
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Well, if it doesn't work after the re-scan, it means the TV's tuner has failed....or if you're lucky, the coaxial feed to this TV simply was compromised (bad feed from splitter, needs new RF fitting, etc.). There's no quick fixes beyond the re-scan. It's a 39" set, and Insignia TV's are fairly light, but I understand if you don't want to move it.

Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

I can't repair a broken TV tuner from here- so if that doesn't work, and you're pretty sure the cable feed at this location is good- then you have a fault in the tuner in the TV. In that case- if you're under a year- you can contact Best Buy about a warranty repair. Or if over a year, you're looking at around a $225 repair- and this TV can be replaced for that cost with a brand new 39" set from BB.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. You can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
tv is only 6 mo old so i will have it taken back thanks for the advice ps what will this cost me since i've taken up your time?
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Good news that it's only 6 months old- you can have them take care of the warranty repairs.

I'm not privy in any way to billing, accounts, etc.- I'm an independent tech, not a site employee. You would need to direct those questions to customer service via the home page. I'm simply an AV technician. You can direct billing questions here: http://*****@******.***

I haven't been paid anything- the deposit sits with the site. In order to credit me the rating must be clicked.