Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My plasma tachi turns on. You can hear sound but no picture.

Customer Question

My plasma Hitachi turns on. You can hear sound but no picture.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi Carol , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first a few questions , let me know when you`re ready ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ready
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then

Is the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?
If you are not sure then darken the room and turn the tv off and on again while you observe the screen .
Can you see the tv`s own menu for example ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

By the way , this tv is a rear projection type of tv made in 2003 and with 3 color tubes , not plasma

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but that phone offer did not go through and in any case it was automated from the web site ,not from me and we won`t need it for now anyway unless you`d rather do this on the phone , let me know.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No light. Volume Only
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No menu either I take it ?

Is the sound coming from the tv or do you have a sound system beside that ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Did it quit while watching it or simply would not come on today ?
Any electrical storm or power blackout in your area prior to this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From the TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Simply wouldn't come on today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No storm or blackouts
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then , at this point without being there with tools and meters myself i can tell you that there are quite a few possibilities .
The most common failure points would be the power supply , high voltage and horizontal deflection circuits and possibly convergence circuit although less likely .
This will require some serious troubleshooting at the component level with test equipment to dig out the culprits and I`d say that its not exactly what i would call a "do it yourself" type of job and you would need the help of a local repairman on this one.

A failure in any of the circuits i mentioned above could cost in excess of $300 to have it done at home.

If i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" plasma tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 .
I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you