Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a mitsubisihi ws 65857 the picture comes in cloudy

Customer Question

I have a mitsubisihi ws 65857 the picture comes in cloudy then go's normal then back to cloudy
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: basically picture starts cloudy then go's normal picture then fades to cloudy again,, will countinue back a forth while watching
JA: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first a few questions , let me know when you`re ready ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but the phone call did not go through even though I tried to accept it .

This phone offer was sent by the website ,not me and in any case I would have a few questions first

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

When the picture fades away or go cloudy , can you see faint transversal lines on the screen ?

Did this problem happen all of sudden or gradually got worse over the last few days/weeks ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ready ok you there
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Yes , can you see my reply and questions above ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
theres no lines in picture, picture is perfect except gos cloudy then back to normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this started after we moved to az from nh
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

when this happens , if you open the TV's own menu , does it show clear or is it also affected by this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tv has beening this way for months due to lack of money
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is also affected
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Something you just said here about a move , have you tried a few slaps on the sides of the tv to see if that would affect it ?

I`m thinking about broken connections or solder during the move , one thing these older tv do not like is to be shaken up after those years , the solders get brittle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
slapping this big a tv does nothing,, all components are well protected, are you formilar with this make
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you diagnose the tv by what I have explained with the make and model and semtems
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sir , I`ve been repairing TV's for over 40 years and believe me that I`ve seen quite a few mitsubishi of this size and I`m not talking about tapping directly on the components either but never mind that , if you`ll give me a few minutes I will give you the best diagnostic you will have for your money then you can decide about repairs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it acts as if it had a clear bulb like the new TV's that are replaceable, that would be the problem but this tv doesn't have that bulb. all it has is the tree color lamps
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then one thing is for sure is that if the menu is also affected then were not talking about external equipment or wiring , this is internal and from you description the video circuit or its supply voltage is affected .

Again this could be about a broken solder joint if I go by the indications you gave me but for a tv of this age it could also very well be that you got a defective component in that circuit , I`m sure that just about every capacitors inside the tv are out of specs by now and troubleshooting this will not be an easy task and certainly not a DIY type of job .

To have a tech. at home working on this could very well cost you $300+ and you will need to find an older tech. like me so that means some shopping around .

If i may be frank , considering the age of the tv and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 .
I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one , your money would be better invested in anew one but again that is up to you so if you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around.

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you