Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a pro scan 39 inch tv. The picture is dark and

Customer Question

I have a pro scan 39 inch tv. The picture is dark and flashes bright every few seconds. Sound is fine. Tried a hard reset, disconnected from the wall, and tried a different direct tv box.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the TV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plded3992a-c
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to sound impatient but how long before something is said
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me time to reference the documentation for this model.

The described symptom almost always is an internal hardware issue. Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No l don't
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Consider an experiment (if have not been done). Power on the TV and set to a program/channel. If at all possible, darken the room where the TV is. Wait for about 5 minutes or more. Shine a flashlight at an angle (not directly) and nearly but not touching the screen where the volume level / menu display is usually seen.

Press the VOL UP/DOWN or MENU button and note if a dark/ghostly image of the volume level or MENU could be seen during the period when "...picture is dark..."

Please post back results.

The above is a test to determine if it is a backlighting issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see the menu vaguely even without the flashlight
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

This would confirm the internal hardware issue or more particularly, a backlighting issue.

If not considering a DIY, would information on TV repair shops within your location serve your need please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you. Will there be a charge for this session?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes if the above provided information helped you determine the cause for the "...picture is dark...".

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think should be charged for telling to bring it a repair shop.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

My participation is strictly limited to technical issues.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, as there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround, it would either be a DIY or a repair shop depending on your preference; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Still, for payments & billing concerns, please contact Customer Support.

Good luck and thank you for the opportunity to be able to share the information.