Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a pro scan 39 inch tv. The picture is dark and

Customer Question

I have a pro scan 39 inch tv. The picture is dark and flashes bright every few seconds. Sound is fine. Tried a hard reset, disconnected from the wall, and tried a different direct tv box.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the TV.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Plded3992a-c
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't want to sound impatient but how long before something is said
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me time to reference the documentation for this model.

The described symptom almost always is an internal hardware issue. Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No l don't
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Consider an experiment (if have not been done). Power on the TV and set to a program/channel. If at all possible, darken the room where the TV is. Wait for about 5 minutes or more. Shine a flashlight at an angle (not directly) and nearly but not touching the screen where the volume level / menu display is usually seen.

Press the VOL UP/DOWN or MENU button and note if a dark/ghostly image of the volume level or MENU could be seen during the period when "...picture is dark..."

Please post back results.

The above is a test to determine if it is a backlighting issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can see the menu vaguely even without the flashlight
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

This would confirm the internal hardware issue or more particularly, a backlighting issue.

If not considering a DIY, would information on TV repair shops within your location serve your need please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No thank you. Will there be a charge for this session?
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Yes if the above provided information helped you determine the cause for the "...picture is dark...".

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't think should be charged for telling to bring it a repair shop.
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

My participation is strictly limited to technical issues.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, as there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround, it would either be a DIY or a repair shop depending on your preference; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Still, for payments & billing concerns, please contact Customer Support.

Good luck and thank you for the opportunity to be able to share the information.