Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Toshiba television that I purchased extended

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba television that I purchased extended warranty for. It run out one week after I called. Unfortunately, I should have called earlier as we had intermittent problems for quite a few months. The TV turns on but then turns itself off after only a few seconds. Previously it was doing it but would come good and would last for ages and then it would start happening again. Now it just fails all the time.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue. Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but could probably borrow or buy one if you think your solution would work. What would we need to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought this was an Australian support line.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

This is an independent site and is not affiliated with any manufacturer, brand or product; neither do we sell parts, components nor devices. Members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Would you still like to continue please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what a multi-meter is. I have already paid so if you could tell me what steps I need to take it would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be finishing work shortly so if you are unable to respond in the next 1/2 hour, would it be possible to send through an email with the instructions? Thank you so much.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Vicki,

Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check the power supply board and ensure presence and consistency of the standby +5V;
  • • determine which voltages are available upon attempting to turn on;
  • • a low or missing voltage would almost always point to a failing power supply board;
  • • the easiest approach then would be to replace the power supply board with an identically numbered board;
  • • this would then serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination;
  • • in some instances, the power supply would be kicking in auto-protect mode if any of the other boards including the LED array is faulty.

First step then would be to determine the power supply board number; something like PA-3241-01TS-LF depending on the board version/revision.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the power board in the television itself? Or do you mean an external powerboard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the TV is fixable, I am happy to take it back to Toshiba but do not want to pay a repairman if it is "dead">
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

And please click HERE for a multi-meter.

A friendly reminder; voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the Toshiba be plugged in and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

The power supply board would be inside the TV itself. It would look something like the circuit board shown HERE.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

For Toshiba Australia, please click HERE or contact:

• Toshiba MobileCare
  • Unit 3A,*****/li>
  • Belmont 6104
  • Toll-Free: 13 30 70
  • Phone: 13 30 70
  • Email:***@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would not want to touch the TV in this way. Would a technician be able to fix this problem or would it not be worth the cost. Because you are not in Australia this is difficult from your end to estimate pricing. The TV was very expensive,.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would need to go to Australia. Your website did not indicate that it was a US site until I had made my payment.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried clicking HERE ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will contact them tomorrow. I wanted to know whether you think it can be fixed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Louie.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes Vicki, it would be fixable by Toshiba:

• product familiarity;
  • parts inventory;
  • technical expertise;
  • standardized service fees.

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.