Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Was searching getting sound out of JBL 100 sound bar with my

Customer Question

Was searching for help getting sound out of JBL 100 sound bar with my new Sony Bravia and came across this. I've got the home and optical cables in, and selected external audio on th tv. No dice...
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the TV?

Also, I'm assuming auto-correct changed "HDMI" to "home"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Bravia R510c, and I'll look for another model number.
And, yes auto correct is great - except it's a soundbrar not bra!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Full model # *****
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply, and yes auto-correct keeps the world interesting ;-)

Now, what sources do you have connected to the soundbar via HDMI, or is the HDMI cable running simply to the ARC jack on the TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The HDMI is right to the tv. I also tried shifting the optical cable to my comcast cable box just to try..
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. Offhand the optical directly to the cable box is the best test- since it eliminates a bunch of connections and possible culprits. Let's try that optical cable to the cable box and to the soundbar again.

Then reboot the cable box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. Once it reboots, check for sound on the soundbar.

Use the "Source" button on the soundbar to toggle through each of the options (waiting 5 seconds between each press) and see if one of them gives you the cable box audio.

Make sure you raise the volume on the soundbar a bit first.

Let me know what happens please.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Afraid it didn't work....
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, well this test indicates the issue is not related to the TV, or any TV settings and brings us down to the JBL, or the Optical cable itself as being the root cause. So, you would need to try another optical cable to determine if the soundbar is indeed functional or faulty. Also, is this a brand new soundbar system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a new sound bar and I did actually try a different cable I had. Is there another tv setting I might be overlooking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, the sound bar works on a neighbors tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Here's the thing- if you plugged the optical right into the cable box- how could a TV setting be the issue?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You bypass the TV sound completely when you run optical from the cable box to the soundbar.

How was it connected at the neighbor's house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No idea...
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

It wouldn't be the TV settings in that case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was connected directly to their tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Using what? Optical, HDMI, RCA?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Optical and also worked with rca
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

None of this lines up, so I'm afraid I will have to opt out and allow other experts to take a look. Someone should be by shortly.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you try a different process here, please. Go ahead and hook the soundbar as before, either to tv or cable box (but preferably cable box) via optical.

Next go into the cable box setup menu, and set the audio output/format to pcm (stereo/bitstream), not to dolby/digital/5.1.

Let me know if that helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem fixed, but thanks anyway
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update, Peter.

What was the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As a last resort I pulled the optical and just plugged it into the headphone port.Thanks.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

That can end up working, because the headphone port is analog only and already downmixed to stereo.

It will work, but it is an analog stereo connection, so the sound quality will not be nearly as good. You'll get better results from the all digital optical connection, which should work with the above mentioned format adjustment.