Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a 9 year old Samsung 50" plasma TV takes 10 min to

Customer Question

I have a 9 year old Samsung 50" plasma TV takes 10 min to turn completely on after cutting out repeatedly should I fix or get a new one Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you understand this problem and give you an idea of what is involved and the possible costs of repairs.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`ll start by saying that this is a typical power supply problem for a tv of that age , namely weak/vented capacitors on the power board and the easy to go about this is to replace that board .

With the exact model number i could be specific with part number and exact cost but I can tell you that for a 50" Samsung plasma of that age the power board would cost somewhere around $100 if you were to replace it yourself but if that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around but If i may be frank , considering the age of the tv , i would think about it twice before investing that kind of money into this one and it may be better invested in a new model .
you can get a new 50" plasma tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 .

If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thank you

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Saw that you cam eto look at my answer.

If you want the specifics then just let me have the TV's model number , if that is not necessary then please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.