Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I am trying to figure out if my t-con board is bad

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try a color calibration, or changes to the many color settings that a modern TV has on it. (Unless this is a really old model - I haven't checked the age of it yet.)

As for image persistence, that can be a problem with some TVs, using some settings.

If you have disabled the 'screen saver', or blanking of the screen after 1 hour, then a static image displayed for 2 hours or more could cause image persistence in your LCD TV.

That might ? possibly explain the seeming image persistence while watching - it might be the ghost of a previous long-displayed image. The way to reverse this is to display an all-white screen for several hours (or some recommend an all-black screen instead, to 'even out' the polarization of LCD cells that make up the image, that cause image retention in LCD TV screens.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did a factory reset and it did not fix the issue.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

How old is the TV, please? measured from date of purchase.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it used but I think it's about 5 years old.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

No warranty coverage whatever then.

I'm not sure what board or component is defective that is causing the problem, but for a TV that old, not just a cleaning-out (I think I've already recommended one), but also a close inspection of all capacitors for signs of leakage or bulging of capacitors... and replacement of any such obviously defective capacitors.

The cleaning (it seems I have not mentioned it as an option before) would consist of

1. unplugging the TV from the power and all other connections, then letting it sit for an hour or two or longer, to dissipate stored charges in it, for safety.

2. opening the case, using a vacuum to clean out all dust, or wipe with a clean and only very faintly moistened rag cloth (note, do not wipe the face of the screen part, or any plastic case components, with anything other than a tiny bit of water, or they may stain or fog permanently and rather disastrously or in a very unsightly way.)

3. then, re-seat all connectors and connections, one at a time and one by one (so as not to forget how they go back together again, which can easily happen if not undone and redone one at a time.

4. see how that affects the problem. (You can inspect at the same time as cleaning, for defective capacitors, burnt components (if not obviously overheated, the reverse side of the board often shows brown spots under the component that overheated previously.)