Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

How do I turn off the parental control pin set up screen? I

Customer Question

How do I turn off the parental control pin set up screen? I just get a white screen with the following message:
Set Parental Control Pin Enter a 4-digit numeric pin and press select or cancel. // The screen does allow me to do anything on the screen, so I can't enter the numeric pin number or make the white screen go away. This happened after my dog stepped on the remote hitting multiples buttons simultaneously; tv was working perfectly fine prior to that. Please help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , let me know when you`re ready ?
Also , could you please give me the tv`s model number ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jack, I am Calvin. The TV is a Visio model number VA 19L HDTV10T.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Calvin , had to step out for a bit .

So you are saying that it is asking for a 4 digits code but even if you enter the default 0000 it will not take it ?

Or have you tried any digits yet ?

Can you see the tv`s normal menu or the tv is stuck on that screen ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is exactly what the message looks like:
SET PARENTAL CONTROL PIN
ENTER A 4-DIGIT NUMERIC PIN
AND PRESS SELECT
> _ _ _ _
CANCEL
The screen is basically inaccessible, I cannot select or move to the spot to create or enter a code or number of any kind; nor am I able to move/get to the "Cancel" selection at the bottom of the screen. The white screen seems locked on my tv, with the tv seeming to be operating properly behind the white screen.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then it looks like your tv`s processor is locked somehow , i believe your dog did a good one .

Try this ; Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just plugged power cord back in and turned on tv, and the white "set parental control pin" box is still there; and, I still can't enter any numbers or get to the "cancel" selection.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

O.k then there are no known procedure to get out of this beside what i just gave you .

By the look of it the main board`s eeprom got corrupted (common for these vizio) and a main board replacement would be the only thing.

You could try to unplug the power for an extended period like overnight or 12 hours + but i don`t give this much chance .

Then you could look at the link below and match your main board with one of those versions ;

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=VA19LHDTV10T

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok; thanks for trying.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No problem