Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Copy tv shows to computer? How to hookup?

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, What's the model number off the back of the Coby TV?

Also, does your computer have an HDMI pot, or only the standard 15 pin VGA?

I will need specifics to help you here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Computer has hdmi pot.
The TV is a Olevia lcd 242-s11
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Oh it's an Olevia? You mentioned "Copy" tv, not sure what that was.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess the computer corrected the spelling.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You would run an HDMI cable from the computer to the Olevia TV's "HDMI/DVI" port, then select "HDMI/DVI" using the source button on the Olevia.

In your computer's settings, select "Connect to external display" to get the picture on the TV (if it does not come up automatically).

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm hooking up the hdmi cable to the computer and the tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok got the hdmi cable in both know what
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I posted the instructions above- can you see them? Scroll up the page to see all replies and follow those instructions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please note that the question was to copy a TV show to the computer not show what is on the computer on the tv screen
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Oh, you can't do that without video editing software and a TV that supports AV output which your TV does not. That was why I thought you had posted "Coby tv shows to computer"- meaning the TV shows a hookup to a computer. No you cannot copy TV shows to a computer. You need an external tuner or DVD recorder in order to be able to do that and then you also need video editing software I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so it can't be done is your answer?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The answer was that additional equipment is needed. If you need specifics on what is needed then let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry your answer is not really helpful. I reread my question and there was no mistake since it was clear that I wanted to copy a tv show to my computer.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, good luck.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. If you still need help with this, I'd be happy to give you more information.

Can you tell me specifically HOW you are getting your tv stations currently? (Antenna, basic cable, cable box, satellite, etc)?

Do you have content on an existing DVR and you're looking to transfer it to the computer for archiving, putting on a cd/dvd, etc? Or are you actually looking to edit the tv content somehow?