Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My samsung plasma wont turn on and blinks a red light 5

Customer Question

Customer: Hi there. my samsung plasma wont turn on and blinks a red light 5 times and shuts the picture down (tv still technically on). I have checked power loads on the power board and it is getting the 120 amps to the board but the Va and Vs are reading 0 and 8 respectively. The model is PN50B550T2FXZA
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I turn on the tv, the front red light blinks 5 times and the picture stays black
JA: OK got it. Last thing — TV Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I paid. are we all set?
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Unplug CN803 and CN804 connectors of power supply board and check Va and Vs volts while pressing power button on TV.

Do you get different reading now?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had unplugged them all and received the same readings
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

OK, unplug TV power cord from wall outlet for 10 minutes, get your meter ready to take readings, replug TV power cord back in and press power button.

Do you still get same reading of Va and Vs?

If so then power supply board is bad and should be replaced, however, it is found that power supply board usually went bad when y-main board gets short that means it would be expected the y-main board could also be defective in your TV, in other words it would be safe to replace both boards at same time. Please check with following board supplier to view power and y-main board image and part number info which will help to search/google to get price info to order it..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=PN50B550T2FXZA+

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I replaced the power board and nothing changed with the Va or Vs readings. What shall I do now?
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

Unplug y-main board from power board and again check Va and Vs volts.

Do you get readings now?

Thanks,.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
same readings
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

OK, can you provide me picture of rear of TV showing all circuit boards so I can view it how the boards are connected to each other to assist you further?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here you go
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

Please unplug connector on top left and right side of power supply board (located in middle of rear of TV), set the meter to DC Volt range, touch black lead to metal frame for ground and touch red lead to Va pin of connector, replug TV power cord and press power button to turn On the TV.

Do you get any reading for a second on meter?

Perform the same test with Vs pin as well.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nothing over 4 on either reading and that isn't from the test point. From actual pin
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

This is odd, so no Va and Vs readings on power board while y-main and x-main boards are disconnected?

Have you got the replacement power board from reliable source?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tv parts guy. I don't know. At this point I'm going to just give up.
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

OK, can you check Ohms across Va and GND and Vs and GND pins of Y-Main and X-Main boards while they are disconnected?

Do you get low ohms/ short reading for this check?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I grounded the black and used the red on every GND and Va or Vs. I got a consistent -2.8 on all GND and 0L on the Va and Vs readings.
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

It needs to set meter on Ohms/ Resistance setting, touch black lead to GND pin of board connector and red lead to Va or Vs point to get the reading.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. It will be a few days now. I will test it Friday. Thanks for your patience
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

OK, no problem, take your time and reply back with the result.

If you found low Ohms like 0 or 1 ohms reading on a board then need to replace it because low ohms reading shows short in that board, replacement of bad board will help to resolve the issue.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Am I measuring the female side on the power board or the male side from the x and y?
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 months ago.

Need to measure ohms on x and y main boards, disconnect both boards from power supply board, unplug TV power cord from wall outlet then check ohms reading on mentioned pins.

Thanks.