Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I had only rabbit ears. I bought a new antenna but it won,t

Customer Question

I had only rabbit ears for antenna. I bought a new antenna but it won,t work. The tv read 3 universal no service. I am moving and no not want cable at this time.
Could you tell where to plug the "antenna" in the tv for rabbit ears service. I have tried
The side antenna and antenna provided but it won,t work.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , let me know when you`re ready ?
Also , could you please give me the tv`s model number ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
42x46
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Is that a panasonic toshiba etc. ?

Sorry but this is not a complete model number and perhaps with the brand name i may be able to find out what it is

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
42k44 Hitachi Led Hda
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where do,I buy an antenna that will work.?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I try to connect the TV, it reads 3 Universal no service.
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

If you already bought an antenna then an antenna is an antenna is an antenna .....

A piece of wire is an antenna if you can connect it to the tv and there is no such things as digital antenna , the signal within is digital now but the wave that carries it over the air is the same that was there in the 50`s so that gets back to an antenna is.......

Now to get back to that model number , hitachi model numbers in lcd TV's start with the letter L then the tv size , for example L40...... is for a 40" tv

I`ve tried with both numbers you gave me and nothing

By the way , a phone call at this point would be useless and if you received an automated phone offer from the web site ,never mind that ,it wasn`t from me

Right now what I need to answer all your question is the correct model number starting with the letter L

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no Letter L when Comcast came out three years ago they said Hitachi, was wrong. I am asking WHERE YOU PLUG
IN THE ANTENNA PLUG on the TV. I know WHAT Antenna is! Don.t Call
,
Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Where you plug an antenna is usually a round screw type connector , at the rear of the tv and it will say either RF ,CABLE or ANTENNA

I don`t know exactly what your tv looks like you did not give the model number !

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

By the way , I told you about antennas because you were asking where to buy one and you already have one .

Even if that antenna was made in the 50`s it would still work hence my explanation about it

Expert:  Jack replied 10 months ago.

Where did you connect that old antenna anyway

It will say antenna or cable next to the connector

The main thing now is , how old is your tv and is it capable of picking up ATSC signal or works only with the old NTSC , if that is the case then no use to look for the antenna terminal you wont pickup anything over the air.

That gets us back to that model number