Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Samsung TV Model PN43D440A5D and it is performing

Customer Question

I have a Samsung TV Model PN43D440A5D and it is performing well. I have connected a Serene Innovation TV SoundBar and digital connector using the Digital Audio Output Audio Port and the TV digital cable. Despite the equipment being correctly installed I get no TV audio. The Serene Innovations "help" person tells me that the audio problem is likely that the audio being sent from the Digital Audio Output Port (digital) is in Dolby but should be in PCM (Pulse Code Modulation). These audio terms do not come up using Menu--Sound Mode--Sub-menu, anywhere in the User Manual, or on the on-screen menu selections. Will you please tell me how to find the Dolby/PCM selector on this TV.
Thanks a lot!
Mark
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, You cannot manually change the digital audio out put signal- on almost any TV out there. It's silly that soundbar and home theater manufacturers give this as a solution. The audio is decoded in the form it is sent. So, now there's a couple of other things that could cause this- first, right now are the TV speakers producing sound, or did you shut them off already?

Additionally, what "Input sources" are you using- and how are they connected?

The TV's optical out will not output all sources- it depends on the type of signal Input (HDMI, etc.).

Let me know.