Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a 42LN5300-UB TV that I didnt use mo. I relocated the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 42LN5300-UB TV that I didnt use for 2 mo. I relocated the TV from the Living room to a bedroom and upon power the screen display was covered w/ multicolored, dense vertical lines from left to right across the screen. Ive
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

How old is the set please?

Also, if you grab the original TV remote and press MENU, will the MENU display normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approx 3-4 yrs. it wasn't used for about4 mo.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. The most important thing I need to know is this:

If you grab the original TV remote and press MENU, will the MENU display normally?

Or do those lines cover the MENU?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it did not As all the colored vertiCal lines remained
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

That is bad news. Since you cannot adjust any settings on the TV if you cannot see the MENU. This indicates a hardware failure in the TV in most cases- either the LCD panel itself (which is what these symptoms point to), or the power supply board has an out of spec output to the LCD controller.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are the lines still there? If so, can you tell me if any pressure was put on the screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the reset 3 times wo any success. What is interesting is I can play/watch/hear TV programs in the background and this has been since the lines themselves appeared a few days ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

That means the LCD processing in the TV has failed- which is either caused by the screen itself failing or the LCD controller. There are unfortunately, no settings, buttons or adjustments you can make to fix this problem. It does require hardware testing (using a multi-meter) and replacement. Are you looking to try to repair this yourself?