Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My Sony Trinitron works great with picture and sound.

Customer Question

My Sony Trinitron works great with picture and sound. However When I'm watching it it turns off and I'm able to turn it right back on. I also noticed that it cuts off at commercials. The model # ***** ***** 36h5420. The only thing hooked up to the tv is my AT&T receiver. Please advise. Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Sony.

And when "...watching it it turns off...", is there any blinking light?

Expert:  Louie replied 10 months ago.

Hi again Margie and I saw your reply / additional information in your other question which is now marked as a "Duplicate".

The description of "... Stand By/Timer light. It blinks six times and pauses three seconds and then continues to blink six times..." would indicate that the Sony has detected an internal hardware issue and has kicked in auto-protect mode.

Please click HERE.

The above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs. Options then are:

• • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center (specially if still under some form of extended warranty) or an independent repair shop / qualified professional;
  • • evaluate other options considering cost of repair, down time, cost of shipping, age, parts availability and comparable prices of newer/better models.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.