Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I bought a RCA 32' TV a year ago from Walmart, mother when

Customer Question

I bought a RCA 32' TV a year ago from Walmart, for my mother when it was on sale and did' nt open the box until 6 months later. I bought the correct cables but when I hooked it up I got audio but no picture. Can this be fixed?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

Do you get the RCA welcome screen when you turn on the TV?

Also can you get the model number off of the back of the set?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No welcome screen, no video on TV. Model # ***** Part No. RN4132R0135
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If there's no welcome screen, which is what determines if the MENU will work- then there's no pushbutton fixes for the TV (if you can't access the MENU, then you can't make any changes). So this is a hardware failure- meaning parts need to be replaced to fix this set. Now, you mentioned buying it a year ago and opening the box up 6 months ago. So did it work 6 months ago when you turned it on?

Also are you OVER or UNDER one year from the date of purchase? I'm asking because the TV needs component replacement which are out of pocket if over one year (out of warranty).

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you're over a year, then I can still help you fix it- by finding the part you need to replace, but I want to make sure that's where we're at first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been over a year. How can I fix this?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Well we need some more information for me to tell you that. Now you said the set has sound- correct?

If so, this means your Mainboard is working.

But you do have a black screen. So I need you to look very closely at the screen, and shut the lights off in the room and let me know if the screen is LIT or not (meaning slightly lighter than if the TV were turned off).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I do this tomorrow? Watching championship game. Can't dfis-connect present TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You don't need to disconnect the present TV?? You just need to plug the RCA in and press the power button. You don't need to plug anything into it to see if the screen lights up.

Anyhow yes, it's late here and I need to go to bed, so if you want to continue tomorrow- we can do that if you want.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Talk to you tomorrow , will check TV for screen to light up
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, sounds good. Talk to you then.