Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

Got Vizio l37 power light come on but no sound or picture

Customer Question

Hi got Vizio l37 green power light come on but no sound or picture
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! I am an experienced electronics field technician and your satisfaction is my top priority. We are now connected together on this convenient website which saves you time and money vs much higher repair shop diagnostic fees.

To get started, I need to know you are able to reply to me here with some more information (additional details may be required):

1. What is the full model number of the Tv? see sticker on back of tv
2. How long have you had the Tv?

3. What is your level of experience with electronics?

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
L37HDTV10A
Around 8 years
Some
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Have ever changed a circuit board?

Do you own a multi-meter?

Are you able to measure live voltages while the tv is plugged in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Been awhile
Yes
Yes
Will have to get setup for it
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Assuming no damage to the screen or spilled moisture into tv... First need to check for bulging capacitors on ALL the boards. Look at the top of the capacitors. The top should be flat and clean. If you see that the top if rounded and may have some rusty looking stuff on it, then the capacitor is bad. Here is an example photo:

http://www.thenakedpc.com/dan/Bulging_Capacitors/close-up.jpg

If you see bad caps then you can either solder new ones on to the board or just replace the entire board:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=L37HDTV10A

If you don't see bad caps, then measuring voltages is the next step. Look for the multi-pin connectors on the POWER board. Black lead to metal chassis ground, red lead to test point. Set meter to DC volts. Watch meter as you plug in power cord and press power button. Unplug power cord. Repeat for next pin on the connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok caps look ok power jack is underneath motherboard
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you mean. You need to see if you are getting 5v and 12v and 24v on the Power board connector pins. The pins are labeled with voltages. In the example picture below the the multi-pin connectors are on the right edge of the board:

http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f8f28dc4a19c21aeb55ee5774693fb5d/s/h/shopjimmy-0500-0507-0190-top.jpg

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Black lead to metal chassis ground, red lead to test point. Set meter to DC volts. Watch meter as you plug in power cord and press power button. Unplug power cord. Repeat for next pin on the connector.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you made any progress, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?