Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a 65'' samsung plasma - the bottom half of the screen

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** - I have a 65'' samsung plasma - the bottom half of the screen flickers with a super light ghost of the top half of the screen it is intermittent
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i cant replicate it - it just happens intermittently and it is annoying - called samsung they had me do a factory reset and uplug all the sources - it is still happening
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure that is fine - here is a link to a person with a similar issue on you tube - this is exactly what mine is doing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5PJyBrHxs0
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 10 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

The first thing you should do is unplug all sources (Cable/SAT box, etc.), as well as the TV from power. Remove and reconnect all of your HDMI and AV Input cables making sure they are secure, and then plug everything back in as a reboot and see if the issue still occurs.

If so, then the next step you would try is to replace the HDMI cabling from the sources to the TV- these can be purchased for around $15 each from Radio Shack or Wal Mart, and are a very common cause of this problem.

If you're still having this intermittent flickering on the bottom half of the screen, and the ghosting on the top, then unfortunately this is a hardware failure occurring in the TV that requires service. There are no settings or adjustments that can fix this- and it ultimately does require service.

Most common internal issues that could cause this are failing Sustain/Buffer boards (part of the Plasma display processing- and typically a $350 repair), or possibly even the plasma display screen itself (the latter being non-repairable).

If you'd like you can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did you see the link i sent over - the answer you provided me was basically your tv is broken - i kind of already knew that
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5PJyBrHxs0here is the link again, the customer service rep did not include it on the transcript - this is exactly what my tv is doing.