Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Proscan plded3992a-c...picture is flickering when powered

Customer Question

proscan plded3992a-c...picture is flickering when powered on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

Does the screen flicker with ALL sources (Cable/SAT box, DVD player, etc.)?

Also does it eventually stabilize, or does it just flicker no matter how long it's left on?

This part is important- when the flickering occurs, if you grab the original ProScan remote and press MENU, does the MENU also flicker please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
to the 1st and 3rd question. it does not stabilize at all no matter how long it's on.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay if it flickers with all sources- INCLUDING the TV's internal MENU, then this is a hardware failure in the TV. More specifically the backlight circuit is oscillating due to a short circuit and the power board needs to be replaced. If you're not looking to repair this yourself then a shop will generally charge $225-$250 parts and labor for this repair and can be located at the following link:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Alternatively if you're a DIY type and want to fix the TV yourself, then the part you need to replace is:

Apex/Proscan LK-PL390101B (LKP-PL065) Power Supply Unit

It is generally a $60-$90 part and can be replaced in a few minutes with nothing more than a screwdriver.

Other than what's posted above, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this particular set, the power board and video-main board are one in the same and I have replaced it...no change.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay, that would be good to know at the onset of the question to save us time, and to get to the root of the problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
im sorry for not mentioning it first.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

I'm definitely not seeing that the power board and Mainboard are the same on this set. Her is what Shop Jimmy shows for parts:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/proscan/plded3992a

Postback with the part number of the board you replaced please, and I can take a look.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this board in my set shows both video inputs plus the connection of the 110 power cord.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
from the picture I've sent, am I mistaken?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Can you show me an entire picture of the back of the TV please? There's several revisions of this set, and I don't have a part number for that board, or a visual of the other boards. Please provide some more info.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this is it
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay, that is bad news then and you have a bad panel in the set. The only things that contribute to the backlights in the TV screen, and their flickering or not- are the power supply and the lighting within the panel. The lighting in the panel is not replaceable, and if you've already replaced the power/main in the set, then it's not repairable unfortunately.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
unless the entire screen is replaced???
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you see there are no other parts in the set right? We're looking at the power board and the lighting in the screen which is NOT replaceable. The set needs a new screen to fix the problem, and if you can find the screen it's about 80% of what the TV cost when BRAND new.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
DAMN!!! Do you have info as to where I could purchase a panel for this set?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

I sure don't, nobody sells the panels anymore. Sometimes you can find them brand new for Sony or Samsung sets, but Proscan you won't find. The only thing you can do is find another model of the same exact number and cannibalize it for it's screen.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
IN THIS SET THERE ARE SMALL "STRIP" BOARDS AT THE VERY BOTTOM THAT CONNECT TO THE PANEL WITH RIBBONS. COULD ONE OF THESE BE THE PROBLEM??
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

It's impossible to say if they "could" be the problem or not, but you can't replace them, they're part of the panel essentially. Unless you can find a part number and postback or Google it and see what you come up with, but I've never seen those be replaceable before (Sony uses them as well, but they're sold with the panel).