Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I bought a 60 inch m-series 4k ultra smart hdtv and noticed

Customer Question

Hey, I bought a 60 inch m-series 4k ultra smart hdtv and noticed the cable box hdmi says 720 p not 1080p? How do I get it to 1080p? It is in the hdmi port 2?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first a question , please bare with me even if it seems unrelated to the problem you have now ;

Do you have anything else connected to the tv and specifically a blueray player ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blue ray samsung. The receiver is at uverse.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

what i`m getting at here is that your tv nor its hdmi cable have any bearing on the resolution , this has to do with your cable box and/or whatever is playing on the screen .

Was asking about a blueray as it will usually give you a 1080p resolution and i wanted you to see it for yourself.

Insert a disc in the blueray and pull up that info again while it is playing

Let me know what you get

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the blue ray says 1080 p when I pull that little grey bar at the top. These aren't cheap tv's tell me I can have 1080p on both.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

This means that your att cable box is set at 720p resolution but mind you not all channels are HD and even less are 1080p , it usually goes around 10801 /720p but depending on your cable box it can also be upconverted to 1080p /60ps

This would have to be figured out with your cable company and the box model you have now

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Again i will repeat , the tv has nothing to do with the resolution you see your show , it may be capable of the highest resolution but if you feed it a standard definition signal then thats what it will show you , it does not upconvert or modify anything ,its a monitor and show you what it gets fed in

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

For example my own cable box if let alone will give me the resolution of whatever is playing and the way it is broadcasted and as i said above this is mostly 1080i or 720p to save bandwith but if i disable these resolution in its menu then it is forced to come out 1080p .

This again depends on your box and its capabilities

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Another ways to have a steady 1080p signal is to pass all your signals through a surround receiver that will process the video itself and always give you the same utput resolution no matter what the input .

I`m thinking for example the Denon AVR--S or AVR-X series of receivers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I route through my blue ray?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No that will not do it .

You need a full process receiver like the examples i gave you above but the easier yet is to have that box set or replaced if it cannot be set to output only 1080p

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

The problem is simply the cable box here , nothing else

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Also , make sure you are watching a HD channel when you pull up that info

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am and the picture is worse than my 10 year old tv.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

I`m sure , usually the clearer the tv can get the more you will see the defect of a low resolution signal .

If you cannot have the cable box sending a higher resolution then have att replace that box with one who can

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Tell them that direct tv has receivers who can

That may do it !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just annoyed to have to spend more cash.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a USB cable would that do it?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

No sorry , no can do , this will have to be done HDMI and from the cable box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thx.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.