Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a magnavox tv. A power shutoff turned the set off and

Customer Question

I have a magnavox tv. A power shutoff turned the set off and I can't get it to turn back on through the universal remote. Help
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Will it turn on from its own power button on the front of the tv?

Do you see any solid or flashing light on the front?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no power button on the tv. There is a "standby button", but it does not come on with "standby button" on the tv remote. There are no flashing lights. Every now & then, the red tv light on the universal remote will flash two or three times, but it does it randomly.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

The power button is the same thing as the standby button.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, especially for this brand. Even for a CRT type tv (which is now obsolete technology), it is well past its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $100 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,