Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Samsung DLP tv and it is turning off and on. Power

Customer Question

I have a Samsung DLP tv and it is turning off and on. Power button does nothing, I have to unplug it to stop the off on cycling
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Can you get me the full model number of the TV (it will be on the back). Samsung made many generations of DLP set.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not at home right now. I'm at work. It's a 55 inch that's all I know at this time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 4 or 5 years old
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I don't think I can be of much help without knowing the model number :( but I can gather some additional info.

Have you owned the set siince new?

Have you ever changed out the lamp?

Have you ever changed out any other parts?

When the TV fails to turn on, do you see any LEDs flashing (or just lit) on the front of the set?

If you can answer all 4 of those, it will get me primed for when you give me the model number.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it new about 4-5 years ago. Never had any repairs though I was thinking that I should have it serviced (cleaned of dust etc) at some point. The LEDs flash. red shows when it powers off and then green (sometimes one and sometimes two) lights when it powers on. Pushing the power button does nothing. the tv just continually turns off and on. I had to unplug it to stop it.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well my first hunch would be to change out the lamp - since you have never changed out the lamp. They are usually good for about 3000-4000 hours but some last less.

But to be sure, I need that model number. You see, some Samsung DLP sets do not use lamps, they use very bright LEDs - so it is important to know which set we are dealing with.

When you reply later, I will be emailed and we can continue to troubleshoot.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see that the lamp is lit. Why would the lamp needing replacement cause the tv to turn off and on continuously?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Because the lamp is not a filament lamp, it is an arc lamp and if the lamp is old, it cannot maintain the arc and the TV cycles on and off. But - again, it could be many things.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll get the model information to you when I get home. thanks
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Excellent. We'll get it fixed.