Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Samsung DLP HL-S6188W TV. TV turns it self off randomly

Customer Question

Customer: Samsung DLP HL-S6188W TV. TV turns it self off randomly
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: seems to happen after the set has been 'ON' for a while - several hours or so. TV just goes off. Then when pressing the 'on' button, it takes maybe 30 seconds for the TV to come back on with a picture. I just replaced the projection lamp in September and it was like a new TV
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Any idea, how old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

- Is this problem started after new lamp replacement?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV was manufactured October 2006. Lamp was replaced September 10, 2015 and the problem started after the lamp was replaced. The TV was not used from October 1 to December 2 at all. Problem then started in mid-December. IT has gotten progressively worse from turning off after several hours to now turning off after about 1 hour.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info.

Where did you buy the replacement lamp from and how much you paid for it?

This info will help to determine the cause of issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid $90 for this bulb: Philips OEM PHI/389 Samsung BP96-01472A DLP Replacement Lamp with Housing. It is a genuine Philips bulb, NOT a "will-fit" or a generic brand. I bought the best bulb, as recommended by Samsung.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, what does the front LED lights do when TV switch Off itself after some time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All 3 of the lights go out, and none are lit.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

So all three lights do not blink at all and just go out when TV switch Off itself?

I'm sorry about too many questions but have to ask to troubleshoot the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, yes, they flicker for a few seconds and then go out
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, now the TV symptoms make sense. Do you remember the lamp supplier name and is the lamp came with some warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it at Amazon.com and it was supplied by ExclusiveBulbs, an Amazon partner
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** conclude the diagnosis, please contact the lamp supplier and ask them to replace it/ provide better quality lamp because existing lamp is counterfeit/ fake one and causing the problem OR you can buy Samsung original replacement lamp directly from Samsung Parts for $119, click following link to view the info..

http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-BP96-01472A-PHI.aspx?model=HLS6188W

I'm sorry you may not like the answer as I'm calling this lamp fake that you may not like to hear but the fact is we do see this kind of issues almost on daily basis here so please think again before shooting me with bad-service/ 1 or 2 star ratings, your TV is just fine and all it needs correct/ better quality lamp because lamps available over Amazon or ebay are sub par and do not last longer so your best option is to buy replacement lamp directly from Samsung Parts or get replacement lamp from supplier if they sent it with some warranty.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get a new lamp and see if that corrects the problem. Elclusivelamps sell both fake and genuine and I checked with Philips to find out how to tell the difference. I believe my lamp to be genuine, but a new lamp is worth a try. I will let you know the result before I enter any rating for you! thanks!
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

That would be fine, I'll be waiting about how the new lamp worked.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Corrrection: when the TV shuts off, the lights flicker momentarily, and only the RED light stays ON.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, what is the label of that red light that stays solid red?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is the left light labelled STANDBY/TEMP - stays solid red
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

This is odd, how old is the TV and is the problem started after new lamp installation?

Do you hear any abnormal sound/ noise from TV before it switches Off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV was manufactured October 2006. No sounds or noise when it switches off. and yes, this switch-off problem started about 3 months after the new lamp was installed.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Then I would strongly recommend to get replacement lamp directly from Samsung Parts (link mentioned in previous reply) that will help to resolve the problem or check with lamp supplier to return this lamp and get good quality lamp.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ordered the new lamp yesterday directly from Samsung Parts. Will advise of success after installation and testing. thanks
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Nice, I'll be waiting the info how it went.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shahid, well my new lamp direct from Samsung has not arrived yet. But I will have to send it back because the lamp was NOT the cause of my problem, as you said. I went to the Samsung support site and entered just a little information about model number and symptom. Samsung responded within 24 hours and said to un-plug the TV from the wall, wait 30 seconds, and then plug it back in, directly to a wall outlet. Since I did that, the problem has been solved. I have run the TV for the last 3 days, 12 to 14 hours daily, and it has not shut off even once. So the Samsung fix appears to be the solution. And I checked the lamp i installed in September and verified that it is a genuine Philips lamp.
How do you want me to proceed to close out this exchange?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

This is odd but sounds good that problem is resolved. Please contact customer service at following link/ number about billing/ refund and do not rate my answer, leave it as it is.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
Call:(###) ###-####/p>

Thanks.