Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Sanyo tv model FVD5833 flat screen. That lost the

Customer Question

I have a Sanyo tv model FVD5833 flat screen. That lost the picture, went black, no back lighting visable though the back. ( There is sound) I was told it may be the power supply for the back lighting unit? Which circuit board would be most likely be the problem
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, please post back with clear pictures of the circuit boards.

Still, consider an experiment (if have not been done). Power on the TV and set to a program/channel. If at all possible, darken the room where the TV is. Wait for about 5 minutes or more. Shine a flashlight at an angle (not directly) and nearly but not touching the screen where the volume level / menu display is usually seen. Press the VOL UP/DOWN or MENU button and note if a dark/ghostly image of the volume level or MENU could be seen.

Postback results.

The above is a test to determine if it is a backlighting issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HI Louie I turned on the TV in a dark room. the sound is there but no sign of any picture or image . I looked very carefully with flashlight at a angle all over the whole screen. No Images Rechecked all connections to. changed channels, menu and DVD player Anything else to consider? THANKYOU Tom
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

If "...no back lighting visable..." then primary suspect would be the LED drivers that is part of the power supply board.

BUT since "...power supply board...replaced...", then this replacement power supply board would still be highly suspect.

On the otherhand, if the new power supply board is known to be good, then the primary suspect would be the LED backlighting strip.

It has to be posted that depending on the version, some LED strips are made to be an integral part of the screen.