Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

10 year old 32 inch LG set turns onthen off within 2 seconds

Customer Question

Customer: 10 year old 32 inch LG set turns onthen off within 2 seconds and keeps repeating until I pull the plug. I was away 2 weeks and this happened when I turned on
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Set is hooked up to a 30 mile Leaf antennae power comes on off no picture remote or TV controls have no effect
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

This is a fault of the Mainboard in the set- which is not uncommon, and is something we've seen frequently on the site. To fix the TV, you can fit a Mainboard into the TV yourself (it does not require soldering or special tools). Or you can opt to have a shop perform this repair- but this is on average a $250 job, and perhaps not cost effective on a 10 year old 32" set (since the TV can be replaced for almost the same cost).

However if you're looking to perform a DIY repair- let me know and I can search for a source for the part and post a link if applicable. I will need the model number off of the back of the TV to search though.

There are no pushbutton fixes for this however, and the cycling Off and ON is a fault in the "EEPROM" of the Mainboard which does require replacement of the board.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.