Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Apple TV PBS
, I am in Canada and I am connected to my

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Apple TV PBS
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am in Canada and I am connected to my sister in FLorida on her Apple TV Account and I can look at programs on PBS
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me what specific problem you're having?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Nathan;
Like I wrote before, I live in Canada and I have a AppleTV. In order for me to watch PBS (because it is not accessible in Canada) I connect myself to my sister Apple TV because she have it and live in the USA. When I connect to her account and try to watch PBS some programs are available and others NO it is writing; An error occurred loading this content.
So what should I do to solve the problem
Nicole
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for clarifying, Nicole.

The problem here is your location. Even though you may be using her appletv account, the content server (pbs, in this case) is able to detect your location, via the IP address assigned by your internet provider. This is a purposeful content restriction based on country, and is very common, not just to pbs but to other apps too. If you went into netflix at your location and again at hers, you'd find different offerings for example.

There is no quick or simple setting you can change for that. The only way around it would be to pay for a VPN or proxy service which essentially reroutes your appletv connection signals and tricks the server into thinking you are in another location. When you do that and it then thinks you are in the US, you may then miss out on some CA offerings however.

This process can be expensive and complicated (you really need to be very computer and IT savvy to configure this type of setup). I can give you some information on this if you'd like, but in most situations all you can really do is accept the location limitations or find another way to access the content elsewhere.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nathan;
I do not agree because I do use my sister Apple TV for Netflix and I may see all contents of the USA and I am on the Netflix account of my sister
Please advise
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

I'm not saying you won't see anything, I'm saying some of the content will not be the same or may be restricted. This does not apply to all apps or all content. Only certain features are restricted, and that is based on location.

As a quick test, please try to go into your netflix and look up 100 Bloody Acres (2012) , 1hr 30m, and let me know if you find that title available.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No I cannot get it. I do have HMA on my labtop in order to change my IP address location, so I do it for my Apple TV?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

I'm not asking you to change anything at all yet. I'm asking you to go on the appletv to look up that title on netflix.

If you did it from your computer on netflix.com, that is fine too, same thing. That particular title, as an example, is a US only title not available in CA. So if you don't see it, it proves what I was explaining above.

You cannot just change your IP address - first nothing would work if you did, and secondly it won't affect your location, there is more to it than that, and it requires a vpn routing service.