Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My remote to my cable box stopped working

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

Whom is your cable provider, and what is the Brand and Model number off of the front of the box?

Also, do the manual controls on the box itself work as they should?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing works on the remote I cannot power box on and off
Model Samsung SX022ANM
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Who provides the cable box- did you buy it, or did you get it from your cable company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cable company gave me the xfinity remote
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the original one that came with the cable box
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, please elaborate. The cable company gave you a brand new remote because the cable box didn't work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I came home from work and my remote was not working I was saying this is the original remote given to me by the cable company
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay gotcha. Have you replaced the batteries in the remote yet?

Have you also rebooted the cable box after replacing the batteries, by unplugging the box from power and plugging it back in?

If not, try those steps please. If the unit is still not working, then this is hardware failure on Xfinity's end- they own the box and simply rent it to you. In this case you would need to call the number on your bill and have them swap out the box and the remote.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the batteries as I already stated and powered the box off by unplugging it
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay well that's all you can do on a user level. If they're still not working, then you need to contact the folks that rent them to you (Xfinity) and tell them your box and remote are no longer functional and they will replace them. They own the box, so it's not practical to try to repair a non-functioning cable box. That's something your cable provider is responsible for. There's not a pushbutton fix for this.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Or is the problem that your cable box is working fine, but you don't see anything on your TV screen? That would be something altogether different. Please elaborate as I'm not there to see what you're seeing.