Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Vizio TV won't power on

Customer Question

My Vizio TV won't power on
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

What is the model number off the back of the Vizio?

Also are there any signs of life on the TV at all (power light, etc.)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the orange standby power light is on, but the TV won't turn on even after trying to unplug the power and plug back in. Getting the model number now...
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. Please postback with the model and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
E420VO
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. So you're saying there's no response from the power button on the set at all?

Also when did this problem occur- were there storms, power outage, etc.?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. I was watching TV last night with no problems whatsoever. I turned it off and went to bed. When I woke up this morning it would not turn back on. No outages or storms at all in the area
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no response from the power button on the set or the remote
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Okay, these symptoms point directly to the Mainboard in the set failing- which causes these symptoms and is something I see routinely.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried that earlier today to no avail. Just tried it now again, 4 times, and still nothing.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry but the TV has a failed Mainboard and that part needs to be replaced in order to fix this.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

If you have a shop perform this repair you're looking at a average of $225 parts and labor and can locate a shop at the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Or, if you're a DIY type (do it yourself), let me know and I will hunt for a source where you can buy this board and repair the TV yourself.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
WOW, and for just a few bucks more I can buy a new TV! What a joke.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Or for less than $100 you can buy the Mainboard if you're looking to repair this yourself. I don't set the prices, I can only tell you what they'll charge to fix the TV.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I cancel my membership and get a refund? It said if I'm not satisfied with the answer provided I can get a refund. I could've figured this out myself as I did the hard reset earlier myself without it working. My next step was to take it in. I just paid $38 to be told something I already knew.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know you don't set the prices and I wasn't bitching at you. I simply asked you how I get a refund and now you "refer" me to another tech. Lovely. You asked for a five star review now I can't even give you any.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

I'm not privy in any way to billing, accounts, etc.- I'm an independent tech, not a site employee. You would need to contact customer service via the home page for a refund- I believe that's stated in the Terms of Service that you had to check off to post a question. Me opting out is simply so I can work with other customers- I'm working of my own time here in the hopes of helping people fix their own TV's. I'm simply an AV technician.