Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I am having a problem with 7 red blinking lights on a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I am having a problem with 7 red blinking lights on a Panasonic TX-P42GT30B plasma TV. I have taken the back off the set and disconnected the SN board. I now have 8 blinking red lights. Is this also the SS board that needs replacing?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I power on the set it seems to shut down and there is a red light pulsing 7 times which I understand is a fault message
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?

Any board replacement done so far in TV to resolve the issue?
Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The TV is about 2 years old. The problem happened yesterday. No I have not replaced any boards.
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the info, 7 blinks error code indicates SN board failure and some times power board also went bad due to shorted SN board. SS board seems fine. So need to replace SN board and/or power board in TV to resolve the problem.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have disconnected the SN board as per instructions on YouTube, but am now getting 8 blink error lights. Does this indicate that the SS board is faulty too?
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

No, since error code changes that indicates A board (main board) is detecting that SS board is working but SN board isn't, shorted SN board was causing 7 blinks and when disconnect SN board that cause missing feedback signal to A board so error code changes to 8 blinks.

I hope these info will help. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In your opinion is it worth replacing the SN board or is it probably an uneconomic repair as I might then find other problems? Up till yesterday the set was working beautifully so it seems such a waste to have to dump it. Also how might this have happened? Were these plasmas inherently problematic ? I am now nervous of buying a new set as this one cost me 1200 UK sterling
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

I understand, I'm afraid there is no guarantee that TV would work fine with new board(s) for next few years, new 40 inch LCD would be available around 350 Pounds with one year warranty and this old TV repair may cost 200 to 250 Pounds, in my opinion you would be better off with a new TV instead of sending money and time on this one's repair.

I hope these info will help you to make decision.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Many thanks
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.

Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!

Please reply back here if there is additional questions.

Thank you.