Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a similar problem... Samsung model UN55D6400UFX2A

Customer Question

Mike. I have a similar problem... Samsung model UN55D6400UFX2A that is 24 months old. The tv cycles with a clicking sound and will not turn on. I tried the hard reset and no improvement. The back is off and the capacitors all look OK (no bulging or black seepage). When I power on there is a ditinct clicking that goes on even after the power could is removed as the power drains out of the circuits. Where can I buy replacement capacitors for this model? What else should I consider? Thank you,
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it.
I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

1- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?
2- Does screen glow/ show backlight or logo graphics appear?
Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
TV is 24 months old, maybe slightly older
no image on screen. It does not start up.
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the info, was there any storm/ lightning in area that might have caused this problem?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no—nothing like that. The SAMSUNG TVs seem to have this trouble, based on the number of posts on the web. There is a wikipedia about their capacitors failing on a regular basis. Did you read my previous post? Both of your questions were already answered in the first post I made. If you're going to waste my time, I don't think that the $28 fee was worth it.
Do you have any experience with SAMSUNG tvs?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is my question: "How do I know which capacitor is a problem is they are not visibly budging or oozing black?"
The part number on my power board is PD5582_BHS BN44-00428B... ebay sells repair kits for $25. Reclaimed boards for $159.00
If can provide a clear answer, than it seems fair that I should have my $28 returned. Thank you,
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Sorry about it if you felt my info-requests were not appropriate but I have to gather info about TV symptoms to troubleshoot the problem. There was capacitors issue in few Samsung models a few years back but yours is newer model and there is no report about failing capacitors in this model.

Typing more info so please hold your replies...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you,
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

In fact TV symptoms indicate possible failure of two boards, either power supply or main board.

Power supply board has other components as well along with capacitors and a repair kit is available at following supplier that contains few regulator chips etc...

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn44-00428b-pd55b2-bhs-power-supply-led-board-component-repair-kit.htm

If standby volts on power supply board are constant then it is more likely the main board failure that need to be replaced to resolve the issue.

Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

There is another way around, jump the pin-2 to GND pin of connector of power supply board that goes to main board and replug TV power cord to turn On the power board to check rest of output volts of power supply board which will help to determine if it is working or not.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The link to the repair kit is the same as the one on ebay. Is there no way to test or inspect the caps on the power board other than a visual inspection? This specific question remains open.Your work around is to run a jump pin-2 from the ground on the power board? how do I "check rest of output volts of the power supply board"? Sorry, not clear on this... more detail would be helpful. Thanks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

There is tool calls capacitance meter to check/ test the capacitors which would cost you good money and visual check is just fine to see if capacitor looks OK then it would be fine.

Please unplug connector from power board that goes to main board. Remove screws on power board and turn it around (facing down) to get soldering side up, now you can jump the mentioned pins of connector, put some insulator sheet under the power board to avoid any contact to metal frame of TV that can cause short/ spark and plug the power cord in, jump of Power On and Ground pin will turn On the power supply and you can now test/ check output volts marked/ stamped on connector to see if 5V and 13V etc are available?

If so that means power board is working.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. I am on another project at the moment but will try to do this later this evening... in a few hours time and will post back. Thank you.
Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

OK, no problem, take your time, I'll reply as soon as possible when come online because I'm going offline in few minutes for few hours.

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!

Please reply back here if there is additional questions.

Thank you.