Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Rca tv has no sound with directv but does with the DVDs

Customer Question

My Rca tv has no sound with directv but does with the DVDs player. All I did is was pull out the power supply from one outlet and put it into another
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

By far the most common cause of this problem, is a glitch in the cable box processing.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box from power.

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Plug the cable box back into power, and once it's rebooted, turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

If this does not work, then please tell me how specifically the DTV box is connected to the TV (using what type of cabling).

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still no volume
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Details are needed as requested above please.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Are you saying you didn't change any signal connections but simply moved the power cord when the problem started?

Also can you tell me what cables are being used from the DTV box to the TV?

How about a model number off of the back of the RCA as well please?

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Model # ***** Cables are a s-video cable and cable input cord.
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

S- Video only sends video- not audio.

So can you tell me, was the sound working off of the DTV box before?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just moved the tv about 5 feet so had to switch outlets
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
DVD player still plays volume thru tv
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I saw that the DVD played sound.

Okay, well the issue is likely the DTV box- as I see this commonly and you would simply have Direct swap the box out for you. However you can try another reboot, and this time disconnect the TV from power as well. You said you didn't change any cables except the power outlet. Try the reboot again but this time remove power from the TV also. If that doesn't work, you're going to need to call DirecTv and have them swap their box out. The issue is not the TV it's the DirecTv box.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Complete reboot didn't work, guess it's off to call them
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you didn't change any cabling- just moved the power cord right?

Then you've already concluded the TV is not the root cause because it does have sound with a DVD player.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have been on the phone with directv. However when I plug the red, white, yellow cord into video 1 on the back of the tv I have sound again but that meant I had to unplug the DVD player, plugged it into video 2 and nothing
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hmmm, you stated before that you unplugged nothing with the AV cables and had sound before you moved it. I did mention that S-Video only did "Video" ( as it's name implies), so you would need audio cables, but you said the sound was working before. So, I'm not there to see how it is or was wired- just going by what you told me.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Given that you're moving cables around now and getting some sort of sound, it would imply that it was wired wrong before.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

So Video 1 on the TV has sound, but Video 2 does not, correct? How are you plugging into Video 2- still just using that S-Video cable, are have you tried the RWY RCA's at this point- I cannot tell?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had it wired the same as the one in my other room that still works. What is Rwy?
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

RWY= Red,White and Yellow.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Lol. That makes since. I've used the Rwy in both but have it rigged with one white from directv for sound and the red from DVD for sound for now