Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a 738 series home cinema tv and I have some questions

Customer Question

I have a 738 series home cinema tv and I have some questions about it
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Denyse.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

What you are experiencing is symptomatic of failure of the DLP chip. This is a very common problem with all DLP based tvs. What is happening is that DLP chip, which contains millions of tiny actuated mirrors, starts to freeze up. Those "stuck" mirrors result in a white pixel on the screen. They cannot be unstuck or repaired, the entire dlp chip has to be replaced. You will continue to get more and more dots appearing, until they cover the screen.

There are many blogs and youtube videos detailing the process, if you're inclined to do it yourself. It is about a $200 part. If you have a local tv tech out to do it, figure on around $300-400 total for the repair.

Even though it is past the warranty period, it is also worth a call to mitsubishi. Because this was such a common problem, they will often offer to cover the cost of the part, if you pay the labor costs.

If you'd like, I can help with finding the part, finding a repair shop, or even recommending replacement models if you'd prefer to go with a new tv instead. Replacement may make more sense in the long run, as DLP technology is obsolete now, other parts will continue to fail, you'll have to keep buying lamps, etc. A new LED tv of this size can be bought in the $800 range, with updated features, better picture, and a fresh warranty.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.