Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My new xfinity cable box came with a 12V power supply and it

Customer Question

My new xfinity cable box came with a 12V power supply and it should have been 5V. It seemed to fry the box and a second box that I tested. Can this be fixed by me?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

No, if you received the box with a 12 volt supply- plugged that in and you're saying the box is supposed to have a 5 volt supply (which is biazarre), then you've fried the 5 volt regulator in the box and unless you can solder and have experience repairing electronics, then you can't repair it. Anyhow, the Xfinity box is a box you rent from your cable company, so repairing it on any level would breach your contract. In any case you should simply call them at the number on your bill and have them replace it- since it's no charge to have them do that.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.