Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have an old (about 10 years old) Samsung DVD/VCR Play

Customer Question

I have an old (about 10 years old) Samsung DVD/VCR Play called a "Duel Deck."
It is hooked up to the TV.
The timer on the VCR shows the minutes passing by.
BUT, I don't know how to make the picture show up on the TV screen.
HOW DO I MAKE THE PICTURE SHOW UP ON THE TV SCREEN????
What specific steps do I take?
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model numbers of the TV and the DVD/VCR. Additionally, please describe how the DVD/VCR is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model No is: DVD-V5500The red, white and yellow jacks are plugged into the respective red, white and yellow receptacles in the back of the machine.The same jacks are plugged into the back of the TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

...and the TV's model number please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The red and yellow jacks are plugged into "video in" under the number 4, but the white jack is in the white recepticle under 3.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have you the model number already - twice!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I GAVE you the model no already!
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

A "DVD-V5500" is the DVD/VCR. It is not the TV. And as may be viewed above, the model number of the TV is still unknown.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry! My mistake!Sony Trinatron
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

With most Sony models (something like a KV-32FS100), there would be a button to enable audio/video mode instead of regular TV. This button may be labeled as TV/VIDEO, SOURCE, INPUT, A/V, Video or a term to such effect. Pressing on this button a couple of times with slight pauses in between would cycle through the available inputs.

Can you please try playing a DVD movie or VHS tape and search to try such a button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - thanks. I'll give it a try!
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a button on top of TV. T says "TV/video." I pressed it. It has 3 positions. The tv screen was blank, but I could hear some music, maybe from the movie score. The third position was just snow and static sound.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Have you re-checked or better yet replaced the yellow + red & white RCA-to-RCA cables?

And reviewed the connections from the Samsung's LINE OUT yellow jack + white & red jacks to the Sony TV's VIDEO IN 1 yellow jack + below it the white & red jacks?

Depending on the actual Sony model, the labels, numbers and positions may vary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can now hear the movie very well, but the TV screen shows only red and white diagonal stripes that vibrate. There is also a horizontal line that moves slowly down the screen.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Have you changed the yellow + red & white cables?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be that the Vidoe cassette is very old and has been sitting in the machine for years and years while the machine went unused.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is possible but we have to try first the easy ones such as trying a new cable set.

Bear with me and try a new set of yellow + red & white cables (if have not been done)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have another set of cables. Again, the audio is fine.Isn't there some way to adjust thee screen to get rid of the stripes?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

As a test and a potential (temporary) workaround, consider swapping how the yellow + red & white are plugged in.

Can you try this please?

Originally:

Samsung's LINE OUT VIDEO yellow jack -> yellow plug -> cable -> yellow plug -> Sony's VIDEO IN yellow jack

Propose swapping:

Samsung's LINE OUT VIDEO yellow jack -> white plug -> cable -> white plug -> Sony's VIDEO IN yellow jack

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

As posted above, please try:

Originally:

Propose swapping:

Post back results / observations of the above once tried.