Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics
23511658

I have a new 60" samsung 3d tv that is perfect all the time

Customer Question

Customer: I have a new 60" samsung 3d tv that is perfect all the time except when I play a 3d movie when a wide shaded dark area appears across the lower part of the tv. It is there with or without the glasses turned on. They did sell me a cheaper 3d Blue ***** ***** player and I'm wondering if the problem is in the tv or in the player.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Nothing much except it has been there since the first time I watched it and My son has the same setup, except for the players, and the faded wide dark area does not show on his tv. You can see through the shaded area and it does flicker on and off a lot and it's just very annoying. during the movie.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

With 3d movies, you will always find a small dark area on one or more edges of the screen. The reason for this is the way the 3d Technology requires "two or more" of your size screen, offset from each other slightly to produce the 3d images. So the only possible way to put to offset images, is to have each one be smaller than the overall screen. This SHOULD be very small, however - one of those things that you only notice once you know about it.

In general, however, there are several different formats of HD Movies published - many of them have different aspect ratios - some, like Lord of the rings have a 1.21 ratio which is extremely long and "short" from top to bottom. The rest of this spaces is displayed as black - many refer to it as shadowboxes - but I think that inaccurately describes them. They are actually just empty areas that are not covered by the cinematic film ratio of length to width. Very rarely will you see a BlueRay that exactly fits a 16x9 screen - because, of course, our 16x9 standard doesn't match any cinematic standard!

All that being said, then it is possible that if this doesn't describe what you are seeing the "cheaper" player isn't processing the 3d correctly. The screen relies a great deal on the proper processing of several different types of 3d to display the screen properly. It sounds like you may not be getting, to the TV, what you need to correctly create BOTH images (remember that 3d is two FULL HD images, overlaid, so something as simple as inadequate HDMI bandwidth on a cable, can destroy the image. So can many other things. Make sure you don't have any devices along the HDMI path, like a switch or a selector. Anything in that path can cause a problem with the bandwidth and that will be first obvious on 3d.