Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My jvc xlr86 will power on and make the sound like it wants

Customer Question

My jvc xlr86 will power on and make the sound like it wants to turn, but the tray won't turn
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this is most often a hardware failure (bad motor, worn gear, loose belt, etc in the ejection mechanism, faulty switch or sensor, or just an obstruction by a disc that is out of place)

There are a few things you can try:

First unplug power for at least an hour, then press and hold the power/on button while plugging back in, and keep holding for another 60 seconds. If it still doesn't open, repeat the process but with the eject button instead of power.

If it still does not open, pick the unit up and shake/tilt the player side to side gently, hopefully dislodging the stuck disc inside that could be preventing it from opening, then try to open again.

If none of these help, then there is an internal hardware defect, which will need to be repaired.

If it gets to that point, I can advise you on service options.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, Nathan thanks. However if you took a look at the model number I provided you will see that there is no eject chamber or anything of the sort. The disc is not jambed. Not satisfied. That was a very general answer and I even provided the model number!
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

The ejection and rotation button are interchangeable in this sense, and the same information applies. I have no way of knowing initially if there is a disc loaded in the play chamber or not. It is quite possible that there is a disc and the spindle is in the up position preventing tray movement.

I understand you have a top load player, and am familiar with the unit, though it is a very common configuration, so I apologize for not being more specific to your situation. While the above is general information that applies to many models, it does cover yours as well, with the fault being more specifically related to the rotation/transport motor system, and the rotation (change/skip disc) button being equivalent to eject, as pressing it not only engages the rotation but also affects the spindle and laser transport, which as a whole does act as an ejection mechanism.

Please give it a try, and let me know the results.