Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a LG plasma 60pn5300,it won't turn on at all it

Customer Question

I have a LG plasma 60pn5300,it won't turn on at all it won't even make a sound , but the red OFF light indicator is on and stays like that I've tried unplugging it holding on/off button for a minute, I've even changed the power supply board unit.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

If the power light doesn't blink when you press the on/off button, that would indicate either a bad main, bad pushbuttons or remote. I take it you tried the remote and checked ALL pushbuttons, making sure one is not stuck or broken?

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

Bad main or pushbuttons - see your other posting. You should remove that so you don't get double-charged if another tech responds to it. I'll get more info to you once I verify the button operation with you personally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried two different remotes that are set up to the tv still won't work . How can you tell if the main had gone bad? And the light does not blink
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

And the light does not blink - that usually points to a bad main board, plus the fact that 2 remotes don't respond...PLUS the fact that you probably tried the pushbuttons on the TV set too. I always try the pushbuttons no matter what because they directly connect to the TV's Main Board. If you haven't tried those, I believe they are located on the left in the backside, you should always try them. And the main board usually blinks the power on light if it's ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of the push button work, I've tried, so If I replace the main board it should work? Is there anything els that may cause to not turn on?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 1 year ago.

If you trust the power supply board you purchased, then the main board should be receiving power to turn on the Main board.

That main board then turns on the power light and the TV's logic board. Then that logic board turns on the Ysus and Xsus boards that light up the plasma panel. You should hear a buzz/hum coming from the plasma panel at that time, and see the panel go from pitch black to a gently lit gray color, then the picture appears after that. All plasma TVs follow that start up procedure.

I don't know if you have Tech Skills or a voltmeter, but LG Techs use this procedure to verify the power supply board.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid2515921667001?bckey=AQ~~,AAABg974Gak~,-d5XwUBqifcRpbuquZU16NQsi171C1jG&bctid=3399897704001

Yeah, try finding 100 Watt bulbs and sockets to wire in series for that Vs test...not as easy since they did away with 100 Watt bulbs.

Overall...you tested the remote and the pushbuttons. You've replaced the power supply. You still don't get that power on light on the front of the TV, so that indicates the main board can't turn on the power on light. That has to happen next, THEN the power supply turns on and fires up the logic board which finally fires up the Ysustain and Xsustain boards.

It's a process of elimination.

You can disconnect the sustain boards from the new power supply and simply measure the VS voltage pins to GND pins on those boards, see if the resistance increases up to 2000 ohms within a minute. I'd trust those boards to NOT BLOW the main power supply board then.

Watch that video...maybe a couple times to see what that tech does. Then get back with me, letting me know if you have a voltmeter for testing, ok?