Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a problem with my sceptre 40" lcd hdtv v.8.10a. my

Customer Question

i have a problem with my sceptre 40" lcd hdtv v.8.10a. my remote does nothing for the tv. no power on or off. no control of volume. no changing of channels. i tried the troubleshooting and unplugged the tv and changed the batteries in the remote but no results. is it a problem with the receiver?
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the TV.

More importantly, would the TV operated normally using the front/side panel buttons?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tv operates normally with the side panel buttons. serial # *****
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Please re-check the model number. It would be something like X405BV-FHDR.

There is a partial test to confirm if the original remote is working or not. Click HERE. With fresh batteries correctly installed, point the remote towards the lens of an active digital camera. For every press of any/all button(s) on the remote, there should be a bright light that would register on the LCD screen of the camera.

No light, no infrared transmission from the remote; remote most likely faulty.

On the otherhand, if the remote is good, then consider a possible IR sensor hardware concern in the unit itself or a compatibility issue.

Please post back results of camera test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
model# ***** as x409 hdtv. there is no light going on when i point it at the camera and press any buttons
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i buy a universal remote to try if it was a bad remote?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Michael but it is a bad remote. The no pulsing light from the remote as may be seen from the camera's display would confirm the original remote's failure.

I am hesitant to propose a universal remote as in some instances, the universal remote may not have the correct code to interface with the TV or in some instances, not all the functions/features are duplicated.

It may be more to your advantage to consider an original replacement remote control. Please click HERE to consider.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Michael,

Any updates?