Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My sony trinatron suddenly stopped working. Snowy screen,

Customer Question

My sony trinatron suddenly stopped working. Snowy screen, very weak audio, and now black screen
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. We are now connected on this website- which saves you money over having a Tech come to your home, and in many cases we can fix the problem you're having. In other cases, these things do require additional parts to fix. But I can help you with that as well.

What is the model number off of the back of the Sony Trinitron please?

Also what is the status of the power light on the set- is it lit steady, out altogether, or blinking?

Additionally when did this problem occur?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kv-35v650. Power light blinking. This happened in the last few weeks
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. That power light is used as a code by Sony to determine what is wrong with the set. Please count the number of blinks between pauses (for example: 7 blinks, 7 blinks, etc. ) and let me know what you have on this set.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two short blinks.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean 2 short blinks- there's no long or short?

Also 2 blinks then it goes out?

Or it keeps repeating 2 blinks?

Please elaborate.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.