Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

This is ***** *****. I am trying to set up a Vizio soundbar

Customer Question

Customer: This is ***** *****. I am trying to set up a Vizio soundbar model SB3821-C6 to a Samsung TV model UN50J6300AF and I am not able to control the soundbar volume with my ATT-Uverse remote. The soundbar is connected and works fine using the Vizio remote. The Uverse remote controls the TV functions well including volume but not the Vizio soundbar volume. Help please.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I gave you a bunch of details. I assume that was an automatic computer generated response
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to TV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, consider an experiment (if have not been done) with all 3 remotes; Samsung, Vizio and AT&T U-verse. With fresh batteries correctly installed, point the remotes 1 at a time towards the lens of an active digital camera. For every press of any/all button(s) on the remote, normally there would be a bright light that would register on the LCD screen of the camera.

No light, no infrared transmission from the remote.

Please post back results of camera test.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No light seen for any of the remotes
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Please click HERE. No blinking light on the camera screen as show?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello? This is not very helpful
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

The above is meant to as a test and help determine why the AT&T U-Verse remote would not work with the soundbar.

Though I am inclined to post a compatibility issue, the test would help shed light on why.

Would you perhaps prefer a second opinion / alternate approach to your concern?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. I checked again and all the remotes are working and sending light I can see through a camera
Expert:  Louie replied 11 months ago.

Since all the remote have checked good /working, then this could only confirm a compatibility issue. The AT&T U-Verse remote does not have the necessary code to control the soundbar.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello? Any more thoughts besides checking that my remotes work. That is pretty basic and not worth $18. What other actual helpful advice do you have.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. But that doesn't fix my problem. Is there no way to connect the Vizio soundbar to the Samsung TV such that when I adjust the TV volume that the soundbar volume adjusts as well? That seems extremely fundamental for these products to somewhat work together in the most basic of ways
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
in spite of message board reviews saying that this soundbar works with the Samsung TV remote, that there is no way to connect them so they work together. So my only solution is to go buy a new Samsung soundbar so they work together with one remote?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Joe.

Louie has opted out of the question. I can advise further on this, if you'd still like help with the issue.

First, can you please tell me specifically HOW the soundbar is connected to the tv?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nathan, the soundbar is currently connected with a digital optical cable. The other options to connect the soundbar are via bluetooth, USB, digital coaxial and analog audio cables.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

The optical cable is the problem.

Optical is a pure, unmodulated, digital connection. It is just a data stream, there is no "power" behind it in terms of amplification, and it is audio only, without any type of control signals. That is why there is no response to the tv remote from the soundbar. It is simply not possible with that arrangement.

The ONLY way a tv can affect the volume of an attached soundbar is:
1) If both tv and soundbar are HDMI ARC and HDMI CEC capable

2) The hdmi arc connection is used from the tv to the soundbar

Your soundbar is a very basic model and is not capable of using hdmi connections. To do so, you'd have to return/exchange it for a new/better soundbar. I can recommend some options, if you'd like.

Otherwise, your options are to attempt to program the cable remote to operate the soundbar directly (unlikely to work)

OR to purchase a more robust, true universal remote to control all of your devices, such as a logitech harmony (click here for example) that will work for all of your devices. It is programmed through an easy to use software program on your computer, which downloads the most up to date remote and device codes from the internet, so it is virtually guaranteed to work with all equipment. It will also give you easy to use macro functionality, so you can press a single button to watch a movie for example, and it will turn on the dvd player, tv, and surround system, tune to the correct inputs on the tv, and start the movie playing, etc. Because of the online database with specific codes for each model, this type of remote has much greater functionality than the basic universal remotes (including the one that came with your system.)

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the response and I appreciate the detailed info.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

You're very welcome.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh

Thank you, ***** ***** a happy new year,